Take it one step at a time and remember that little changes can add up to big savings.
- Set thermostats to 78 degrees in summer, 68 degrees in winter.
- Run ceiling paddle fans on medium, blowing down in summer.
- Run ceiling paddle fans on low, blowing up in winter.
- Change HVAC filters monthly.
- When installing new air filters, make sure they are facing in the correct direction. (Look for arrow on side of filter.)
- When heating or cooling, keep windows closed and locked.
- Insulate electric wall plugs and wall switches with foam pads.
- Caulk baseboards with a clear sealant.
- Close fireplace dampers when not burning a fire.
- Caulk around plumbing penetrations that come through walls beneath bathroom and kitchen sinks.
- Caulk electrical wire penetrations at the top of the interior walls.
For more energy savings advice, download 101 Easy Ways to Save Money and Energy, visit TogetherWeSave.com and check out our comprehensive guide to energy savings on horryelectric.com, which includes a wide variety of energy information and tools.